Free of gluten, dairy, and soy. Full of yummy deliciousness!
adapted from an original recipe, Custard-Topped Spoon Bread, featured in The Joy of Cooking. Perfect for the autumn holidays (or just about any time, really).
-¾ cup stone ground cornmeal
-1 tsp baking powder
-½ tsp baking soda
-1 tsp Guar gum
-2 large eggs
-2 cups (coconut) milk
-2 tbsp warm (EarthBalance Soy-free) “butter”
-2 tbsp sugar
-1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
-1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Place an empty, ungreased 8×8 inch baking dish in the oven to heat
3. Whisk together thoroughly the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients
5. Add the dry mixture to the wet, stirring until the batter is smooth and free of lumps
6. Coat the bottom of your heated dish with butter or oil spray
7. Pour the batter into the dish and spread evenly
8. Bake in the preheated oven at 350ºF for about 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.