It’s super easy! It’s super delicious! Here’s our little how-to on making coconut whipped cream for desserts, and using it as frosting for cakes (our preferred cake coater!). If it turns into THE dessert, we won’t judge :-]
MAKE the Whipped Coconut Cream
This is essentially a one ingredient recipe.
The ingredient: A Can of Full-Fat Coconut Milk. The full fat variety is essential to the separation and whipping potential of the cream.
- Pour entire contents of the coconut milk into a bowl, and chill overnight – this allows it to separate
We sometimes go 2 days! The longer the wait, the better the reward!
- Drain the liquid into another container. Save it for other baking and cooking uses!
- That awesome-looking firm cream that’s left in the bowl – Whip that up!
Add to this a bit of sweetener (cane sugar, etc), and if you care, additional flavoring. We like to make raspberry creams! lemon creams!! almond creams!!! The choice is up to you
- Store the cream in the refrigerator for future use
USE the Whipped Cream
As Cake Frosting:
- Stack cake layers with cream in between them. Cover them in cling wrap and store in refrigerator overnight. The cake will be more cohesive when decorated and moist when eaten
- Spread the whipped cream, as you would any frosting, around the entirety of the cake
>>The secret here is to use a wet knife! Wetting the knife will give better slip to allow for spreading the cream evenly
- Store the finished frosted cake in the refrigerator to set a few hours. It can be kept overnight.
- To enjoy the cake at its peak, take it out 20-30 minutes before eating
Other Dessert Uses:
- Parfaits – layer it with fruit, crumbled gluten-free cookies
- Top your waffles, pies, cobblers
- Eat it alone!