- 4 cups all purpose GF flour (Little Aussie Bakery Brand)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs guar gum
- 1 lb butteror shortening of choice (we like Spectrum organic shortening)
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- 1.5 -2 cups ice water
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Cut butter/shortening into the dry ingredients and mix until the combined consistency is crumbly
- In a separate bowl, mix together COLD vinegar and ICED water. Add this SLOWLY (a few tablespoons at a time) to the dry dough, kneading together until the dough binds together in a smooth consistency.
- Press out pie crusts immediately (do NOT refrigerate)
>>They may be frozen for future use in their individually pressed pie tins
- Add pie filling and bake as directed by your pie recipe.
For a bit of extra pizzazz in your pie crust, sprinkle the bottom (and top layer once the pie is completely assembled!) with spices appropriate to the recipe you’re using…
- Sweet pies do well with additions of cinnamon, sugar, and ginger. Why not try making your own pumpkin pie spice? Check out this great recipe from “The Rising Spoon.”
- Savory pies could be sprinkled with salt, pepper, sage… Try an Aussie traditional with our lamb pie recipe!
…Let the pie filling inspire your imagination for spices!