We recently launched a new product at the bakery, our gluten-free version of Melba Toast. It was a huge hit amongst everyone here, but most especially with Steve. Steve works in the prep area and is generally one of those people who is so quiet that you almost forget he’s there. Well, not today! Steve was so excited about the introduction of Melba Toast that he straight away commandeered a whole tray. We were a little confused at first, until he emerged from the back room with a fresh tasty treat: gluten-free bruschetta! We will never doubt you again, Steve.
One bite of these fresh-from-the-oven gluten-free bruschetta bites, bursting with flavor from cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, raw garlic, and sea salt, and we were in heaven. Between the five of us, we finished off an entire tray of the things in less than ten minutes flat! Luckily, I managed to remember to grab my camera and get a shot of the finished product while there were still a few left. I did have to beat off some hungry hands!
So, are you done drooling and ready to make some gluten-free bruschetta yourself? Luckily for us, Steve was kind enough to share his easy recipe with us! Here’s what you’ll need (click an ingredient to order it online):
- One 16 oz. bag of gluten-free Melba Toast (make it by slicing and oven-toasting old bread)
- 12-16 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- One bunch fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
And here’s what to do:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F (or the broil setting)
- In a large bowl, combine your chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Let sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Spread Melba toast pieces evenly on a baking sheet, making sure that they do not overlap
- Evenly divide the tomato mixture on to the Melba toast pieces. These are the traditional Italian toppings for bruschetta.
- If you want to take a more modern (American) approach, evenly spread the cheese on top now.
- Place the pan in your preheated oven and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with basil.
- Share and enjoy!