Ah, French Toast. So sophisticated. So scrumptious. So simple! You didn’t expect that last one, did you? I didn’t expect French Toast to be as simple as it is, either! But after many years of epicurean evolution, this treat has really become an art form.
Also known as eggy bread (mostly in England–I’ve got to respect my heritage), French Toast truly is the classic culinary creation. It was first mentioned in the 4th Century Roman Cookbook, the Apicius (of which you can actually download a copy of the original here). The first recipe was heavy on the milk and light on the eggs. It was probably a bit soggy, as well. I think a couple thousand years of tweaking the recipe has definitely improved it. The modern version is light and fluffy, with a perfect crispy crust and just the right hint of cinnamon and sweet. Our version is also quite allergy friendly–free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nuts! But don’t let that fool you–it is still one of the best breakfast treats in history!
- 1 gluten free bun per person (get them here)
- 2 eggs per bun
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Powdered Sugar (Corn Free)
- Golden Syrup (recipe here)
- Your Favorite Fruit
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut each bun into thin slices, about 6-8 depending on your preference.
- Crack the eggs in to a large bowl.
- Holding the bowl at an angle, whip the eggs with a fork until fluffy.
- Place the bun slices in the whipped eggs.
- Soak for one minute. Flip and soak the other side for one minute.
- Place the soaked slices in the preheated pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Arrange the fried slices on a plate.
- Cover with a generous helping of golden syrup.
- Sprinkle with plenty of cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Garnish with your favorite fresh fruit.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Don’t want to make it yourself? Stop by our cafe every Sunday for Brunch. We’ll have plenty of fresh french toast and tons of other gluten-free breakfast goodies!
This post has been shared at:Allergy Free Alaska’s Whole Food Fridays Vegetarian Mamma’s Gluten Free Fridays Homemade Simple’s Foodie Friday The Pin Junkie’s Friday Link Party Natural Family Today’s Natural Family Fridays Ann Kroeker’s Food on Fridays Love and Laundry’s Weekend Wonders Carol’s Chatter Food on Friday Bloom Designs Link Party Craftionary’s Friday Link Party Run DMT’s Friday Food Fight Will Cook for Smile’s Show Stopper Six Sister Stuff’s Strut Your Stuff Dessert Now Dinner Later’s Sweet & Savory Saturday Cheerios and Latte’s Show & Tell Saturday Barnes and Noodles Creativity Link Party What’s Cooking with Ruthie’s Show & Tell I Gotta Create’s Wildly Original Not Just a Housewife’s Show Me What Ya Got Real Food Forager’s Fat Tuesday Memories by the Mile’s Trivia Tuesday Easy Green Mama’s Gluten Free Tuesday