The Christmas Cake is *the* food of the holidays in Australia, and we could always be guaranteed to have one on the table for Christmas dinner. We know it is the brunt of many a joke in the U.S., but made right this cake can be a moist, delicious treat that the whole family can enjoy! We’ve modified mum’s favorite recipe to be completely free of gluten, dairy, and corn. But enough talking; let’s get baking!
1. In a large saucepan on low heat simmer:
- 1½ cups light-flavored oil of choice (we like this one)
- 3⅓ pounds mixed fruit (buy it here or mix a blend of your own favorites)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup brown sugar
- zest and juice of 4 oranges
- ½ cup GF brandy (or water for a kid-friendly version)
2. Stir gently until all ingredients are incorporated evenly and the fruit is moist and juicy.
3. Remove from heat and leave to cool on counter (do not place in fridge; this will cause the mixture to congeal).
4. In the meantime, blend in a separate bowl:
- 4½ cups GF flour (get it here)
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp guar gum (get it here)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice