What’s a buckle?? First off, know it’s delicious. Then, think of a pie crust filled with fruit cobbler and topped with cake batter. This, is what makes a buckle. Traditionally, blueberries made up the filling of a buckle. Our more traditional recipe is chock-full of eggs, but reader Mags did some of her own experimentation and created her own egg-free version. This version of the yummy treat is 100% free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, nuts & eggs. It’s also vegan. Happy Baking!
- 3 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 Tbsp guar gum
- 2 ¼ cup sugar, plus extra for the top
- 3 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups milk of choice (we use coconut milk)
- 1 ⅛ cups butter (we use Earth Balance – dairy free & soy free)
- 4 ½ cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add milk, vanilla, and melted butter and stir well.
- Pour the mixture evenly between two pressed pie crusts (or simply into plain greased tins if you prefer it without a crust)
- Spread the blueberries evenly over the batter and press down slightly into the mixture.
- Place into preheated 350°F oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, then pour about ¼ cup sugar on top of each mixture.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with homemade dairy free ice cream, and enjoy!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!