For those of you not familiar with this amazing creation, a buñuelo is a traditional Mexican dessert. Basically, it is a big sugary round of fried dough. Even though we’ve now lived in a state bordering with Mexico for over a decade, we have sadly never gotten the chance to try an authentic buñuelo (you know, due to the fact that most dough tends to be made out of wheat flour and all). That is until one of our readers, Penny, suggested that we make them from our gluten-free tortillas. And thus was born the gluten free buñuelo. Just like Abuelita used to make!
- 1 lb gluten free flour tortilla dough (or pre-made GF flour tortillas)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup oil for frying
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large plastic bag. Shake to blend ingredients and set aside.
- Knead gluten free tortilla dough into approximately 9-12 balls, depending on your preference (skip this step if using pre-made tortillas).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan (it should be about an inch deep). Use a thermometer to test that it has reached 375° F.
- Flatten the dough balls into circles and fry one at a time in the oil for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on plates covered in paper towels.
- While the rounds are still warm (not hot), place into the sugar mixture bag and shake gently to coat.
- Enjoy your gluten free buñuelos!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!