Ah, Lamingtons. They’re in close competition with Pavlova for the title of “most iconic Australian dessert.” No one is really sure where the strange name for these delicious little bite-sized pieces of scrumptiousness came from, but rumour has it that it was named after Lord Lamington, the Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901. Some say it was his favorite treat; others say the name comes from the desserts resemblance of Lord Lamington’s favorite hat! Whatever the case, we are grateful for their invention because these little chocolate smothered spongecakes are probably one of the most luscious treats you’ll find. One thing that does not need to be contested is the ease of making Lamingtons, as they are a sure winner there! As for the deliciousness factor… well, I’ll leave that up to you. Here’s our recipe for gluten free Lamingtons:
Gluten Free Lamingtons:
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ⅛ butter (we use EarthBalance for dairy- and soy-free)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups Little Aussie’a All Purpose GF Flour
- 1 tsp Guar gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk of choice (we use coconut milk)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease two 11” x 7″ cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- To the creamy mixture, slowly add the eggs one by one.
- In a separate bowl, blend the flour, guar gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add the milk and continue to beat until smooth.
- Pour in the rest of the flour mixture and blend until completely mixed.
- Add the vanilla extract and blend well.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While you’re waiting for the cake to bake, you can start on the icing!
For the Icing/ Topping:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup boiling water (or coffee for extra richness)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp light flavored oil (we use this)
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the coconut into a medium sized saucepan or double boiler.
- Bring to a medium heat and combine ingredients until smooth.
- Once your cake has cooled, slice it into squares.
- Cover all sides of the slices with the chocolate icing.
- Roll the chocolate covered cake slices in the coconut.
- Allow to cool and set.
- Share and enjoy!!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!