This week’s featured gluten free recipes comes at the request of one of our customers. While celebrating the introduction of our gluten free buns to Babe’s Old Fashioned Foods in San Antonio, Texas, she lamented that the onion rings were not gluten free and therefore she could not enjoy them with her burger. We’re still working on getting restaurants to make gluten free onion rings (and fries and other sides!) but in the meantime, we’ve provided this quick and easy gluten free onion ring recipe for you to enjoy in the comfort of your own home! Happy cooking!
- Preheat a deep fryer or a deep pan to 350°F.
- Into a large mixing bowl, mix the gluten free flour and salt. Slowly add the light flavored oil (not the frying oil) and gluten free beer (or sparkling water) and mix with a fork to make a runny but smooth batter. Set aside.
- Slice the onion into rings about ½ an inch thick. Separate the rings cover with a little of the frying oil (or use a spray oil). Coat the onion rings with the extra gluten free flour you saved for dusting.
- Immerse the rings into the batter and cover each ring thoroughly. Use tongs to carefully place the rings into the deep fryer or pan. The batter can stick to the wire of the basket in deep fryers so take care to avoid this.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the batter is puffy and the onion rings are golden-colored. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onion rings from the oil. Place on a paper-towel covered plate and allow excess oil to drain from the rings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! Don’t forget the ketchup!