Here at the Little Aussie Bakery & Café, we have recently re-launched one of our healthiest breads under a brand new name – gluten free caraway bread. This bread itself is an old staple with us, and has been selling at our bakery and at local grocery stores under the name “gluten free rye bread” for years. However, as you probably know, rye is a gluten-containing grain. So why would we name a 100% gluten free loaf after a very gluten-full grain? Well, simply because it tastes exactly like a good old traditional German rye loaf!
According to Ari Weinzweig, author of Zingerman’s Guide to Good Eating, a good rye loaf “has a deep flavor, a flavor of the earth, a flavor full of character, a flat feel on the back of your tongue that gradually fills your whole mouth.” This can certainly be said for our gluten free loaf! Interesting, the taste and sensation that Weinzweig describes, while often associated with the rye aspect of the bread, actually comes from ground caraway seeds. So it was an easy choice for us here at the bakery to rename our bread to caraway bread—a term that not only describes the flavor and texture but also more accurately portrays the true gluten-free nature of our product.
And if the great taste of the bread isn’t enough, consider all the amazing health benefits! Rye bread is generally accepted as a very healthy choice, but again many people mistakenly assume that the benefits come from the rye flour. In fact, the rye flour offers very little in terms of taste and nutrition so it’s quite easy to transform this classic bread gluten free without losing any of its inherent qualities. The great health benefits that can be found in this bread come from the astounding health properties of the caraway seed.
So how can regularly consuming caraway benefit your health? Let me count the ways…
- Caraway seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber. Just two slices of our gluten free caraway bread will provide you with 4 grams of dietary fiber, nearly 20% of your daily recommended intake.
- Caraway seeds contain a balanced blend of soluble and insoluble dietary fibers to help prevent constipation.
- The fiber found in caraway seeds has been shown to binds to toxins in food and help protect the colon mucus membrane from cancers.
- Studies have shown that regular consumption of caraway can lead to a significant decrease in cholesterol levels.
- Caraway has been shown to act as a carminative, an agent that inhibits the formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract and therefore prevents bloating.
- Caraway can act as an emmenagogue to stimulate or regulate menstrual flow in women, and give relief for women experiencing menopause.
- Caraway acts as a galactagogue, a substance that promotes lactation for breastfeeding mothers.
- Regular consumption of caraway has been shown to reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Caraway contains mild antihistamines, antimicrobial compounds that help to relax the muscles that cause coughing spasms.
- Caraway contains several essential oils, such as carvone, limonene, carveol, pinen, cumuninic aldehyde, furfurol, and thujone. These compounds have antioxidant, digestive, carminative, and anti-flatulent properties.
- Studies show that regular ingestion of caraway can aid in reduction of weight, body mass index, body fat percentage, and waist-to-hip ratio.
- Caraway has several healthy flavonoid antioxidants like carotene, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These compounds aid in the removal of harmful free radicals from the body, and can help protect from infection, cancers, aging, and degenerative neurological diseases.
- Caraway is a natural source of copper and iron, minerals essential for the production of healthy red blood cells.
- Caraway contains zinc, an essential mineral that is involved in numerous aspects of cellular metabolism including the regulation of growth and development, sperm generation, digestion and nucleic acid synthesis.
- Caraway provides potassium, a component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Caraway seeds are a storehouse for many vital vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin C. They also contain many B-complex vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin, and niacin.
And of course the most important benefit of them all—gluten free caraway bread is just plain delicious! Order your gluten free caraway bread from our online store for shipping nationwide, or stop in to select H-E-Bs. They are also available for purchase at The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe in San Antonio, Texas.Sources:
“Antiobesity Effect of Caraway Extract on Overweight and Obese Women: A Randomized, Triple-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial” M. Kazemipoor, et al.
“Caraway (Carum carvi L.)” G. Katzer
“Cholesterol and triglycerides lowering activities of caraway fruits in normal and streptozotocin diabetic rats.” A. Lemhadri, et al.
“The effect of oral administration of Carum carvi on weight, serum glucose, and lipid profile in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.” F. Haidari, et al.
“Treatment of functional dyspepsia with a fixed peppermint oil and caraway oil combination preparation as compared to cisapride. A multicenter, reference-controlled double-blind equivalence study.” A. Madisch A, et al.
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!