Hey everyone- Brittany here! So, you know those quintessential American childhood treats known as Pop-Tarts™? Well, I’ve sadly never truly been able to understand why people get so excited about them. As a child, I would try them time and again only to be disappointed. They’re decidedly not gluten free, so I haven’t tried one in a while. Until one day I had some leftover gluten free pie crust from the Little Aussie Bakery, and decided to make our my gluten-free version of this toaster pastry. I ate them fresh from the oven, so skipped the toaster part completely. After a couple bites of these babies, it’s pretty easy to understand America’s obsession with Pop-Tarts™! This version is simple to make and guilt free. Go on, have another!
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out your dough evenly on a floured surface to a thickness of approximately ⅜ inch.
- Cut your dough evenly in to your desired shape (for reference, Pop-Tarts™ are about 3 by 5 inches). We made ours in square shapes, but be creative – check out these lovely heart-shaped hand pies!
- With a fork, poke holes into half of your shapes (to allow air to escape while baking – or get creative and cut out designs!)
- On the shapes that you did not poke holes into, evenly spread your jam beginning in the center. Leave about ¼inch around the edge.
- Place a “holey” piece on top of the jam, and use a fork to crimp the edges.
If desired, use an egg wash over the top of your pastry. Whip your egg in a bowl and use a brush to spread it evenly over the top of each pastry (this simply makes the outside “shiny” and does not affect the taste – it is completely optional so leave off for an egg-free/vegan treat).
Carefully place your pastries on the baking sheets, spread evenly.
Bake in a preheated 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from baking sheets and allow to cool (baked jam is HOT).
- Frost with your favorite icing glaze and healthy sprinkles for the perfect finishing touch.
- Serve & Enjoy! Happy Baking!
Whoops- We forgot to take a photo before digging in! So, here’s a picture of Nyan Cat, who is half-cat, half toaster pastry (gluten free, obviously). We do not own any rights whatsoever to Nyan Cat, but we do think he’s awesome.