In honor of Rita’s English heritage and meatless Monday (…er, Tuesday now! I’m a bit behind on my posts this week *embarrassed*), we bring to you the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie! The best part of this recipe is that is naturally gluten free. It’s also a great “throw-together” meal for those busy weekday dinners. You can throw in some soy “hamburger” if you need that meaty texture but it tastes great even without! Enjoy!
- 1 ¼ cups lentils or peas
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 can tomato puree (about 10 oz)
- gluten free mixed herbs
- 5-6 large potatoes
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice (we like coconut)
- ⅓ cup EarthBalance Soy Free (or butter if dairy is allowed)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Peel potatoes. Place in a separate pot of boiling water and boil until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain potatoes and replace them back in the pan. Mash until there are no lumps Mix in milk, EarthBalance Soy-Free, and herbs. Set aside.
- Add the red wine vinegar and more herbs to the lentil mixture. Combine and pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish (or go all out and put it in a gluten free pie crust)
- Carefully and evenly spoon the mashed potato mixture over the lentil mixture.
- Bake in preheated 325 °F for 35-40 minutes or until the top of the potatoes has browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with a good English Cider & Enjoy!
Sheperd’s Pie photo © Ansy Dupiton