Hello Little Aussie recipe lovers! It’s Brittany once again back for another post. As some of you may know, I took a brief hiatus from working at the Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe to spend a year in Chile. Even though I didn’t manage to stay away from Little Aussie for long, I did learn a thing or two on my international travels (mostly about food of course!). Today, the 18th of September, is Chile’s Independence Day so in honor of this celebration I’m sharing a favorite Chilean recipe – beef empanadas! For a truly traditional taste of this dish, be sure to include one olive, 2 raisins, and a slice of egg per empanada. They go great with plenty of fresh pebre. Buen provecho! And a big thanks to my Chilean madre for the inspiration!
- 1 lb savory gluten free pastry dough (get the recipe or buy online)
- 2 Tbsp light-flavored oil
- 1½ pounds diced beef
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- whole black olives (optional)
- some raisins (optional)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in pieces (optional)
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the onions and beef until browned.
- Add spices and tomato sauce and stir well. Turn down heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Separate your dough into 9 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a circle about ¾ inch thick.
- Spread the beef mixture evenly between the dough.
- (Optional) Add one whole olive, 2 raisins, and a slice of boiled egg to each portion.
- Fold the empanadas in half to enclose the fillings. Fold up the edges to seal completely.
- Evenly space the empanadas on a cooking tray and place in the preheated 375°F oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check on them periodically – if start to swell too much, poke them with a fork to prevent them from exploding.
- Remove from oven and serve warm. Don’t forget the palta and pebre!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!