In keeping with our international theme this week, today we are going to feature an Australian favorite: the meat pie! We shared our gluten free lamb pie a while back, so today it’s time for a new flavor – chicken and mushroom! This recipe is a gluten free, dairy free adaptation of an original recipe found in The Australian Women’s Weekly magazine. Check out their site for more inspiration for scrumptious Australian treats. But for now, let’s get baking.
- 1 lb gluten free pastry dough (get the recipe or buy online)
- 2 lbs cubed chicken pieces
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp light-flavored oil
- 28 oz mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 cups gluten free chicken stock
- 1 egg (optional, for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide your gluten free dough into 8 equal portions. Roll out into circular shapes.
- Carefully lay 4 of your pastry rounds into 4 greased mini pie tins. Place these and the 4 other pastry rounds in the fridge for later.
- In a large bowl, mix the salt, pepper, and gluten free flour. Toss in the chicken until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Brown the chicken and set aside.
- With the same oil, fry the mushrooms until brown. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent. Add thyme.
- Add the gluten free chicken stock to the pan and stir well. Replace the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the pastry-covered mini pie tins.
- Carefully place the additional pastry rounds over the top of each pie tin and press firmly around the edges to seal.
- Poke some holes in the top of the crust with a knife or fork to allow the air to escape.
- (Optional) Whisk the egg with 2-3 teaspoons of water. Brush this over the top of the crust to create a smooth texture.
- Place in a preheated 350°F oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbling through.
- Serve & Enjoy!
These mini pies also freeze exceptionally well so make a double or triple batch to save some for later! Just remember to let them cool completely before you freeze them!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide.
For the latest news and deals, follow us!