We’ve always been 100% gluten free here at the Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe, but back in 2011 we decided to cut out dairy for a while and see what happened. We were blown away by the results – we had more energy, we got sick less often, and we even had fewer cravings! The only problem was that so many delicious foods tend to have dairy in them – pizza, cakes, cookies, pies, you name it. We had successfully learned to make all of our favorites 100% gluten free, but could we do it dairy free too? The answer was YES, with a little help from a simple ingredient for which we are very grateful: coconut milk. It’s so versatile we often wonder why we didn’t go dairy free before!
Here are our top 10 uses for a can of coconut milk, in no particular order (click the title for a link to each recipe):
- Dairy Free Soy Free Whipped Cream – this is so simple to make! And with only two ingredients, it is totally allergy friendly! It goes great with cakes & pies, and even on top of fruit. I like to put a dollop in my morning coffee. And who can blame you if this becomes the dessert on it’s own!
- Dairy Free Soy Free Ice Cream – this recipe requires a bit more technique (and tools) than the whipped cream, but it’s purpose is much the same: as a delicious accessory to any and all gluten free desserts! This one is especially great for the hot San Antonio summers.
- Coconut Milk Kefir – just because you’ve gone dairy free doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the probiotic benefits of kefir and yogurt! This simple swap makes making delicious dairy free drinks a cinch!
- Dairy Free Buttermilk – which just so happens to be perfect for making gluten free, dairy free buttermilk biscuits.
- Dairy Free Curry – Coconut milk was the original base for curry. Sadly, somewhere along the line traditions changed and people started using cow dairy. It’s so much more delicious with coconut milk!
- Dairy Free Rice Pudding – Another traditional dessert that is usually made with dairy but it honestly so much tastier with coconut milk.
- Dairy Free Tres Leches Cake – A “3-milk” cake without any milk AT ALL?! Yes, it’s true – thanks to the miracle of coconut milk!
- Allergen Free Pumpkin Pie – In the land of pumpkin spice, dairy is king. But a can of coconut milk and a couple other easy substitutions means you can enjoy this fall favorite once again!
- Coconut Snowballs – Winter is on it’s way after all. Welcome it with these delicious treats from our friends at thekitchn.com
- Dairy Free Lamingtons – we just had to include our favorite Australian dessert! Ours is of course free of gluten and dairy!
So there you have it – the top 10 reasons we LOVE coconut milk. What about you – what do you use coconut milk for?
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!