Some of my favorite childhood memories are of decorating freshly baked cookies with the family, and really what is Christmas without some sprinkles? We’ve modified the traditional sugar cookie recipe to be very allergy friendly – These gluten free delights are also free of dairy and soy, so the whole family can partake! Make a morning of the baking and decorating with the kids, and spend the afternoon enjoying the totally scrumptious results! Our recipe yields about a dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutters (and your ability to resist taste-testing during the mixing process :-D).
- ½ cup shortening (we like Spectrum Organic)
- 1⅓ cup cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp light-flavored oil (we use Pomace)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups gluten free flour
- ¾ tsp guar gum (if not already in your flour blend)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp gluten free baking powder
- Vanilla icing glaze (get the recipe here)
- Natural vegetable food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, and oil.
- Slowly beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Blend until creamy
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and guar gum. Mix until well incorporated.
- Roll the dough on a clean, floured surface to a ¼ inch thickness.
- Use Halloween cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
- Carefully place the cookies onto a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain for decorating later with icing.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until edges brown slightly.
- While the cookies are baking, make your vanilla icing and color it with natural food colors.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool.
- Decorate to your heart’s content with festive holiday themes!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!