These delightful hot cross buns are a perfect springtime treat! Enjoy them fresh on Easter morning! Perfect with a bit of butter or jam, or just enjoy their succulent sweetness all by themselves. Oh, and did we mention these hot cross buns are perfect for the whole family? They’re free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, nuts, & eggs (vegan, too)!
HOW TO MAKE HOT CROSS BUNS USING THE LITTLE AUSSIE BAKERY’S BREAD MIX:
- 1 package Little Aussie Bread Mix
- ½ cup light olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1½ cups warm (90-100º F) water
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (like currants)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. GREASE a 12-cup muffin/ cupcake pan. Set aside.
2. POUR the contents of the Little Aussie White Bread mix, along with the yeast packet, into a large bowl and blend slowly to ensure it is well-mixed.
3. With mixer running on low speed, ADD the oil and warm water to the dry mix. (Caution! If the water is too hot, you could kill the yeast. It should feel about the temperature in which you’d bathe. You can also double check it with a candy thermometer before adding it to the mix.)
4. ADD dried fruits and spices and mix well. Keep mixer on low until all ingredients are completely incorporated, then blend on high speed for 5 minutes. When it’s ready, the dough will resemble sticky mud. Don’t worry if it doesn’t just look as you expect–gluten-free bread dough is much wetter and stickier than wheat-based bread doughs.
5. SCOOP the dough into the muffin pan using a wet ice cream scoop (dipping the scoop in water keeps the dough from sticking). Re-wet the scoop between each portion – there is no such thing as a scoop that is too wet!
6. Let the buns RISE in a warm environment the same way you would a loaf. Ideally, the room should be draft-free and around 80°F. In this environment, rising takes about an hour. Otherwise, expect it to take longer for the rolls rise to the top of the pan.
7. PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
8. When the buns are fully risen, place them into the preheated oven and BAKE for 15-20 minutes or until the crust browns slightly.
9. REMOVE from the oven and place the buns on a wire rack to cool. Be sure to remove the buns from the pan before cooling! If left in the pan, they will become soggy.
10. Once the buns are cool, DECORATE the top with an “X” with vanilla icing glaze. Serve warm & enjoy!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!