Summer is officially here and with it comes plenty of picnics, BBQs, and delicious burgers! While we begrudgingly do admit that you Americans have some pretty scrumptious burgers, there’s still nothing that can beat a good ol’ Aussie burger. Our version of the classic picnic food has got everything you’d expect – the all beef patty, aged cheese, onions, and bacon. Oh, but we couldn’t just stop there! For a taste of true Aussie flavor, you’ve got to add in some fresh grilled pineapple, beetroot, and a fried egg! Seriously, I know this probably sounds a little weird but one bite and you’ll be a believer, I guarantee it! Make up a batch with our gluten free hamburger buns. Our recipe makes 4 burgers.Ingredients (burger patties):
- 500g ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, if desired
- 2 Tbsp oil of choice
- 2 large onions, cut into thin rings
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bacon (or more- go on!)
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 8 pickled beets slices
- 4 pineapple rings
- shredded lettuce, as desired
- ketchup, as desired
- Into a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, chopped onion, one egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until well combined.
- Divide mixture into four equal parts and make each part into a patty shape. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon of the oil in pan. Add the onion rings and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat a grill or skillet and brush with oil.
- Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Place a cheese slice on each patty, if desired.
- As the patties cook, fry the bacon and eggs. Set aside.
- Toast the gluten free buns and place their bases on serving plates.
- On to each bun place lettuce, tomato, two beet slices, and one slice of pineapple. The meat patty goes on top of that, over which you place the onion rings, bacon, one egg, and ketchup. Top it all off with a gluten free bun.
- Enjoy with gluten free crisps and an ice cold gluten free beer as you watch the 4th of July fireworks!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!